My alma mater _ USIU-Africa _ education to take you places





I have so much to talk about here. But of course , I'm supposed to ,right?  Like yah, it is my alma mater ! Duh!!!

This great institution was established in 1969 and it is situated at  Kasarani Nairobi, Kenya, Africa. It might interest you that this great hub of knowledge has dual accreditation. Western Association of Schools and Colleges from the USA and Commissions for Higher Education in Kenya.USIU operates the trimester academic system( I hated this part 😜). Uses the American grading. And definitely it is a private university 🙈.

So now, let us jump the boring part and move to the interesting part 😆😆.  USIU is one  of those university that makes schooling interesting for those of us who think school is boring because of the strict timetable. Are you one of those people who hate morning classes and detests afternoon too. I have good news for you.

Classes start from 9am till 9pm. Within this period, you are free to choose your class and lecturer! Don't rejoice too much, the pass mark is 70% 🤣🤣🤣 and you must maintain a GPA of 2.0 of 4.0 if not you will be out in less than year . Well but another good news is that there is really a good lecturers-students  relationship.  That whole fear of lecturers from  typical African universities is not there.(I mean  like those universities were lecturers acts like gods). You are free to challenge your lecturers academically. Also you have good course advisor who can put you through.
 Shout out to my course advisor  that year Mr Wilberforce🙌🏾🙌🏾 Your advice saved a girl 🙈

The blackboard and library  are one of the educational aspects I really loved about USIU. Lecturers make notes available for you on the blackboard  and you are able to access them once you are registered into that class. So no trouble of handouts from lecturers. And once your fees are paid, your course texts are covered. There are limitless number of books to borrow.

The USIU-Library is really well organised, even before it started moving  more towards e-resources. It has three floors and it is organised in this manner:

Ground floor basically has the reception area next to the library conference room, the check-in and Check-out counter, the periodical collections, reference collections, the beautiful courtyard in the picture above, course texts,OPACS ( online public access catalog) and offices .

The first floor has the A-Z collections ,( which are basically  general circulating books or extra course text fgor circulation) short -loans, more OPACS,training rooms, study carrels, study space and other spaces.

The second floor has the Multimedia  Research Centre, Africana collections, American Studies, the UN collections ( United Nations), photocopying and printing facilities,study spaces and study Carrels.

By the way, this was my favourite place in school. It had Wi-fi ( of course the whole school has Wi-Fi, except the classrooms to avoid distractions). But I had special connection with this place. I could spend my entire day there without necessarily reading the whole day ( I think other USIU students can testify to this 😁😁).

Another distinctive  aspect of USIU is the cultural diversity. It has over 70 nationalities around the globe. If you want to experience cultural diversity without necessarily traveling around the world,  then you should visit my alma mater period.

Also every semester has  a special events  planned for it. And I would advise anyone planning to attend USIU to attend these events. Don't ask me why but just attend and you will thank me at the end of your study. The events are as follows:

Fall Semester - Mr &Miss USIU and Freida Brown's Day : This is all about the beauty, brain and character! If you got them and you feel you want to make a difference, you should definitely contest. Even if you don't win, you will surely learn a lot and make cool friends. And Freida Brown's day is a day you won't want to miss. It just feels so good to go out on that community service and have barbecue right after at the end of the day.

Spring semester- culture week and career week. I loved everything about culture week. Ranging from the food making and display,cultural performance and the concert that was used to end it was usually epic. I won't lie, I used to go there to just throw shades and laugh. It usually amazing. And the career week is a must attend event. People land themselves jobs there while they are still in school. It is also a good place to get hooked up with internships.

Summer semester- Award Night: Just go even if you are getting an award or not! You will have a time of your life _ especially if you go with right friends. You know those  friend who just go out for a thousand laughs and nothing more.

Finally, when I was in Nairobi, I used to hear people say " USIU is for the rich." No! No!!No!!! I don't agree with that completely at all. USIU is for all. And believe you me, you will see them all when you go to that school. There are varieties of scholarships for different people. There is Sport, vice chancellor, work study and so on that can help one get through usiu. So you will definitely meet them all.
.
How can I forget the exchange programs, study abroad, Harvard trips ,and the Europe trips. There is also a large community of alumni association that I'm yet to join 😉.

Finally, finally, I would love for all my readers to go to  www.usiu.ac.ke to read the history of the university. I learned through it that the road to success is not smooth at all but it is through the roughness that we  can come out refined,straightened and made ready to sustain that success.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images